The last article on GRE Math was on summary on important properties of arithmetic. Taking this forward, in this article, we will look at the important points of Algebra useful to master GRE Math section.
1) Multiplying or dividing both sides of an ineqaulity by a negative number reverses the inequality. That is, if and , then .
2) Transistive property: if and , then .
3) Like inequalities can be added: if and , then .
4) Rule of exponents:
5) There are only two rules for roots that you need to know for GRE:
6) Factoring formulas:
7) Adding, multiplying and dividing fractions:
8) If a number first increases by x% and then decreases by x%, net change =
9) If a number first increases by x% and then decreases by y%, net change =
10) If a number is increased by x% and then increased by y%, net change =
11) If , then and if then
12) When fractions lying in between 0 and 1 are squared, their value becomes smaller.
13) When fractions lying in between 0 and 1 are put under a square root, their value becomes bigger.
14) , if , ,
15) If are real numbers, then
16) If are real numbers, then
17) If a > 0, b < 0, then
We hope these points will help you master the Algebra section in GRE Math. In the next article, we will look at some important points on geometry.